Eight make Teacher of the Year candidate list
Eight teachers in District 833 have have been nominated for the 2019 Minnesota Teacher of the Year.
Education Minnesota, who organize and underwrite the contest, released the list of nominees Jan. 18.
The candidates are:
• Scott Alton, first and second grade teacher at Pine Hill Elementary School
• Linnea Balderrama, English language learning, Grey Cloud Elementary School
• Karen Buckeye, special education, Park High School
• Linnea Gamache, reading specialist, Cottage Grove Elementary School
• Tark Katzenmeyer, band director, Woodbury High School
• Andrea Kleoppel, social studies, Oltman Middle School
• Anna Ohlsen, early childhood special education, District Program Center
• Kaarin Schumacher, biology, Woodbury High School
"We are honored that so many of our teachers from South Washington County Schools are being recognized for the outstanding work they do in our classrooms every day," assistant superintendent Julie Nielsen said in a statement. "We are grateful to have such high-quality teachers in our system who care so deeply about our students and their profession."
A panel of community leaders will chose a group of semi finalists and finalists from the 168 nominees, who are required to submit a portfolio and letters of recommendation.
The 2019 Minnesota Teacher of the Year will be announced Sunday, May 5, at the St. Paul RiverCentre.