Weather Forecast


Police report: Abduction investigation, burglars who leave footprints, apologies for a fight at Total Wine

Note: This is a sample of recent incidents involving the Woodbury police. All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Police were called to Holiday Bliss, a store in the 9000 block of Hudson Road, at 1:50 p.m. Dec. 22. The complainant noticed two candlesticks missing within an hour and wanted it on file in case someone found them. An officer added a photo of the candles to the casefile.

At 7:56 p.m. Dec. 22, a Woodbury homeowner called the police about a possible break-in in progress. When officers met with the complainant, she said she heard voices yelling at her to get up and get dressed. She hadn’t seen anyone. Police found the residence to be secure with no signs of entry or anything disturbed. The complainant said she was wide awake when the incident occurred, and that nothing like that had happened to her before.

A Woodbury woman was cited for failure to yield after causing an accident with injuries at 10:45 a.m. Dec. 23, near the intersection of Tamarack Road and Seasons Parkway. The driver of a Chevy Impala, also from Woodbury, took an ambulance to the hospital for a minor injury, after being hit by the woman’s Honda Civic. A North St. Paul man witnessed the crash.

Police, responding to a complaint at 3:34 p.m. Dec. 23, spoke with a man who made it a practice to push snow into the street, in the 2700 block of Horseshoe Lane. He said he placed the snow over the storm drain so that it would melt and was given a verbal warning not to move snow into the street.

At 6:58 p.m. Dec. 23, a vehicle making a left turn from southbound Woodbury Drive onto eastbound Fox Run Road, failed to yield, was struck by another vehicle, and caused minor injuries to the driver of the first vehicle and the passenger in the second. One of the women was pregnant and the airbags deployed. A Toyota Corolla and a Honda CRV were towed.

At 9:53 p.m. Dec. 23 at Total Wine, in the 7100 block of Valley Creek Plaza, a group of people began forming around an employee and a boy fighting over car keys. When the employee’s ride arrived, the vehicle, which he told police he owns, was full of kids who yelled at the driver to leave the employee behind because they don’t like him. He took the key so that he wouldn’t be stranded in Woodbury. He walked back into Total Wine to collect his belongings, and a boy followed him, began screaming at him, and told him to give back the keys. Upon police arrival, parties disputed who threw the first punch and who owns the vehicle. Two of the boys’ siblings attempted to interfere with the police investigation and were detained. The employee gave the keys to the driver, who came from Milwaukee to watch the kids while their mother was in California; both adults apologized. An officer gave the employee a ride to the Mall of America transit station so he could get home. The employee expressed embarrassment with the situation. Officers released all parties and counseled on how to resolve their issues without allowing things to get out of hand.

A Somerset, Wis., woman was committed to detox after being found at 12:16 a.m. Dec. 24, at the main doors to a residence along Ashwood Road. Upon officer arrival, the woman was alone, disoriented, obviously intoxicated and unable to care for herself. She had been drinking on a party bus but then got dropped off by taxi. Her closest ride was 20 minutes away in Wisconsin. She was transported to Dakota County Receiving Center in Hastings.

An accident with minor injuries occurred at the intersection of Hudson Road and Woodbury Drive at 10:49 a.m. Dec. 24. A Maplewood man with a St. Paul woman as passenger was driving his small sedan westbound on Hudson Road through a green light, when a Woodbury man took his small sedan for a left turn through a blinking yellow arrow. The vehicles collided and both were severely damaged. An ambulance transported the driver and passenger of the first car to Woodwinds Health Campus via ambulance. The other driver said he felt dizzy but then denied medical attention; he was cited for failure to yield.

Police responded to a noise complaint at 6:55 p.m. Dec. 24 along Cresthaven Trail. Officers heard no music or bass from the exterior, but when invited in, officers heard music playing through the TV in the living room. The TV wall abuts the neighboring, attached townhouse. Officers found no ordinance had been violated and advised the homeowner of the complaint.

At 11:42 p.m. Dec. 24, police responded to a noise complaint at a party along Manning Avenue. The resident told officers he was having a bonfire with some friends on his 5-acre property. He agreed to keep down the noise level.

A Woodbury man got intoxicated, walked home and kicked in his front door before someone called police at 9:47 p.m. Dec. 25. Loud banging was reported by the complainant, but no yelling was heard. Suspecting a domestic situation, officers responded to find the broken door and no response from inside. The man, a homeowner, was upstairs lying in bed and “verbally uncooperative,” according to the initial complaint report. Officers could not identify the man, who said he didn’t have his ID on him and didn’t know its location. The man wouldn’t listen to verbal commands, at which time he — in his boxers — was handcuffed and escorted downstairs. He said his girlfriend was at her parents’ house, but he refused to provide contact information or an address. Eventually, police got ahold of the man’s girlfriend, who said he left her parents’ house after a verbal dispute about his drinking and must’ve forgotten his keys (possibly leading to the broken door). After police checked the girlfriend’s welfare and confirmed no physical altercation had taken place, the man was released on scene and continued to verbally abuse the police.

An attempted burglary was reported at 3:22 a.m. Dec. 27 along Briar Glen Lane. Upon responding to an alarm, police found footprints around the residence, a screen door halfway broken off, and 2- to 3-inch pry marks on the basement door frame. The footprints led to a neighbor’s house, where no damage occurred. Officers set up a perimeter and attempted to track any suspect using a K-9, but the search was unsuccessful. A neighborhood canvas was completed, and police checked other houses with snow-covered driveways. When an officer spoke to the homeowner by phone, the homeowner reported the interior of the house was checked and no access was gained. No other suspicious activity was found, and the suspects are unknown.

At 3:11 p.m. Dec. 27, residents along Regatta Drive returned home to find someone had gone through their house and taken items including jewelry, passports and a strongbox. The burglary occurred sometime Dec. 22-27. A rear window screen had been pulled off, but apparently entry was gained through the rear sliding door. A list of missing items was compiled, and photos were taken of footprints outside and inside. A neighborhood canvas was completed.

Officers responded to suspicious activity at 10:03 p.m. Dec. 27, after a resident along Blue Heron Lane returned home to an open door between her garage and house. She was positive she’d shut it and her son used the front door to leave. After police cleared the residence, the woman said she could’ve failed to latch the door all the way when she left. Officers advised her to call if she finds anything missing from the house.

Police responded to a report or abduction at knifepoint, at 4:47 p.m. Dec. 27 at Red Roof Inn. Two men — one from Crystal, Minn., and the other with no permanent address — and a St. Paul woman had been last seen in a Toyota heading toward Woodlane Drive. The woman’s phone was pinged and she was located with the men at the West St. Paul Walmart. The woman was OK, not hurt and not taken against her will. One of the men was booked on a federal warrant. After investigation, police released the woman and the other man. The initial complaint report lists five adult victims, the two men as suspects, and the St. Paul woman and an Oakdale man as “other.” The incident is under investigation by Woodbury Public Safety.

One possible gunshot was reported by a resident along Kenilworth Court, one to five houses away. Upon police arrival, at 1:56 a.m. Dec. 28, they couldn’t contact the complainant. They checked the area and found nothing suspicious.