Historical Society offers internships; Cupcake Wars is May 9: Education briefs
African American celebration May 3
Robin Hickman, founder and CEO of SoulTouch Productions, will be the featured speaker at "We are Royalty," at 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 3, at Woodbury High School.
The event—a celebration of African and African American fashion and culture, will also include a fashion show, student performances, cultural exhibits and food samples.
Hickman is a social activist, a television and film producer and a long-time leader in the African American and Twin Cities communities. He is committed to "plant seeds of hope and inspire people to take their rightful place in the world."
Students invited to apply for social enterprise camp
High school student living within Stillwater School District 834 are invited to apply for Sparks! Social Enterprise Camp, to be held June 19-23 in downtown Stillwater.
The camp will be led by Michael Vergin, a faculty member at Mounds Park Academy, who has taught a high school course on social enterprise for three years.
Applications are being accepted by the Stillwater Area Foundation. For details and an application, visit the school counselor office or www.stillwaterareafoundation.org.
Participants will hear guest speakers, visit social enterprise businesses throughout the Twin Cities and develop concept plans for their own social enterprises.
A social enterprise is a business that "seeks to make money but also has a clear social goal or benefit."
The Washington County Historical Society is offering internships for post-secondary education. The internship program is designed to introduce students to the workings of a regional history museum and the interpretive educational process.
The program is open to undergraduate college students majoring in the history field or related major. Applications are due by May 10. For details, visit www.wchsmn.org.
Teams of two to four adults (half the team must be 18) will battle at the Cupcake Wars, 6-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 9, at the District 833 Program Center in Cottage Grove.
Teams bring their own cupcakes; decorations will be provided.
Admission is $30 per team; Activity No. YE62200. For details and to register, visit www.cecool.com or call 651-425-6600.
Support groups for parents
Community Education offers the following support groups for parents in School District 833. All are free and meet monthly at area schools.
• The ADHD Parent Support Group meets from 6-8 p.m. Mondays through May 8 at the Cottage Grove Middle media center. To register, email GCarlson@cecool.com; Activity No. PE1011.
• The Anxiety/Depression Parent Support Group meets from 6:15-8:15 p.m. Wednesdays through May 17 at Cottage Grove Middle School, Room A-123. To register, call 651-425-6616 and leave your name and telephone number; Activity No. PE2491.
• The Autism Support and Network Group meets from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays through May 16 at East Ridge High School, second floor Gold Center Commons. Register by emailing email@example.com with your name and telephone number; Activity No. PE2101.
Community Ed: Dreaming, gardening, power tools, guitar
The following classes will be held in early May at various District 833 schools. For details and to register, visit www.cecool.com or call 651-425-6600.
• Photography Level 1—More Essential Elements, 6:30 p.m. May 3, Cottage Grove Middle School
• Shade Gardening, Color and Texture All Season Long, 7 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Hand Tools and Power Tools for Beginners, 7 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Knowing Your Muslim Neighbors, 6:30 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Fused Glass Sun Catchers—With Wire Wrapping, 6:30 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Wine & Painting (Spring Flowers), 6:30 p.m. May 4, Cowboy Jacks, Woodbury
• Guitar Made Easy, 7 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• The Power of Listening, 6:30 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Help! My Partner has Hearing Loss, 6 p.m. May 4, East Ridge
• Meat Smoking Basics, 6 p.m. May 8, Cottage Grove Middle School
• The Food Connection to ADD/ADHD, 6:30 p.m. May 9, East Ridge
• Delicious Sushi, 6 p.m. May 9, East Ridge
• The Resilient Mind Vol. 2: Weathering Your Life Storms, 7 p.m. May 9, East Ridge
• Excel 2010: Functions & Formulas, 6 p.m. May 9, East Ridge
• Yoga in Daily Activities, 6 p.m. May 9, East Ridge
• Whimsical Women—Using Awesome Alcohol Inks, 6:30 p.m. May 10, Cottage Grove Middle School
• Fly Fishing Made Easy, 6 p.m. May 10, Cottage Grove Middle School