Weather Forecast


833 and teachers agree to continue pay incentives

The District 833 School Board approved a contract on July 9 with the United Teachers of South Washington County teacher's union to continue to participate in the Alternative Teacher Professional Pay System, also known as "Q-comp," for a third year.

The program, with about $3 million in state funds, is an introductory program with a goal of giving teachers raises, not based on years taught, but on merit with teachers training and participation in peer reviews and leadership opportunities.

In the past two years, the program has been paid for with state funds. The formula gave districts 70 percent state money and allowed districts to levy the remaining 30 percent on local property taxes. District 833 chose not to levy the additional 30 percent.

The formula has changed for 2009-2010, however, to 65 percent from the state. For this year, the district will levy the 5-percent reduction on local taxes to continue the program with no change in overall funding, according to Superintendent Mark Porter.

Judy Spooner
Judy Spooner is the longest-serving staff writer at the South Washington County Bulletin. Spooner, who covers education and features in addition to writing a weekly column, has been with the newspaper for over 30 years.
(651) 459-7600