Weather Forecast


Police investigate shooting; injured woman released

Woodbury Public Safety Director Lee Vague addresses reporters this morning outside a house at 2200 Kings Drive where a man was shot during a domestic incident before 10 a.m.

A man was shot in the abdomen and a woman suffered a head injury Monday morning in a domestic altercation in Woodbury's Royal Oaks neighborhood, police said.

Both victims were transported to area hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. Children in the home at the time were not injured, and police were not looking for any suspects outside the home, said Lee Vague, Woodbury public safety director.

Authorities received a 911 call at 9:58 a.m. from someone within the house, at 2200 Kings Drive, reporting that a person had been shot.

"Quite honestly we're still trying to sort out exactly what happened and what led to the gunshot wound and the head injury," Vague said.

The shooting forced nearby Royal Oaks Elementary School to go on lockdown for about five minutes, until police secured the home south of the school.

"We didn't even know what was going on, but the police were very nice in telling us what needed to be done," Royal Oaks principal Theresa Blume-Thole said. "We had absolutely no concerns for the safety of our school."

The injured man was transported by ambulance to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Emergency workers transported the woman to Woodwinds Hospital for evaluation. She was released later Monday and interviewed by police.

Woodbury police began investigating shortly after responding to the call. The two people who were injured are being interviewed as well as four others who were in the house at the time, Vague said.

"We're not looking for any additional suspects at this time," he said. "We're confident that what happened was contained in the residence."

Police did not immediately release the names or ages of the injured man and woman. Vague said they were trying to determine the relationship between the two and other basic facts about the incident.

Vague said police believe there only was one gunshot. It was not immediately clear how the woman sustained the head injury. A gun was recovered from the house.

There is no known history of police calls to the house, Vague said.

Authorities taped off the perimeter of the property. They asked nearby residents to remain in their homes shortly after the shooting as more than a dozen emergency vehicles flooded the scene, according to a resident who lives a few houses down from where the shooting took place.

Kristen Mirtz said she could see from the window of her home police chasing and handcuffing an adult male. She said she also saw police handcuff an adult female.

Vague said he was not aware of anyone being arrested at the house.

Mirtz said she was walking her mail out to her mailbox when a police officer approached her to let her know about the shooting and request that she return inside her home.

Another resident said she heard what sound like a loud, low sounding engine skipping several times. She said she wasn't sure if the noise was gunshots, but said several police vehicles arrived in the neighborhood shortly after.

The Royal Oaks Elementary lockdown did not disrupt student activities, Blume-Thole said.

"Teaching continued," she said. "It was very smooth and very quiet."

Blume-Thole wrote to parents in an e-mail that as a precaution there would be extra police patrol in the area at the end of the school day.

Blume-Thole said she had an immediate concern that the family involved in the incident was one of their own, but the address didn't register immediately with the staff.

Royal Oaks frequently runs drills for events such as this, so Blume-Thole said the school was very well prepared.

"It felt like a drill, so the kids were used to that," she said. "We were very fortunate that we were well prepared."

Check back for updates to this story.