Police report: Crashing a Harley, casing a bank, fighting about mowing grass
Note: This is a sample of recent incidents involving the Woodbury police. All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
• A 70-year-old woman was transported to Woodwinds Health Campus at 11:03 a.m. May 4 after a two-car accident near the intersection of Valley Creek Road and Century Avenue. The accident involved three people from Woodbury. The Minnesota State Patrol handled the report.
• A three-car accident occurred at 12:32 p.m. May 4 near the intersection of Interstate 94 and Radio Drive. Woodbury Public Safety assisted the Minnesota State Patrol during the accident, which blocked part of the freeway.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire on Interstate 94, south of Interstate 494. At 12:43 p.m. May 4, the car being towed by a motor home lit on fire. Police provided traffic control while the Minnesota State Patrol investigated.
• At 2:01 p.m. May 4, along Eagle View Boulevard, a resident left his back door open when he left for an appointment. The 50-year-old found out that his father, with whom he is civilly feuding over trust money, was in Woodbury that day. He called 911 to report a possible burglary and have the the interior of his residence checked by police, who found no problems. The resident later confirmed that his father had been in the house.
• At 7:07 p.m. May 4, along Sundance Way, firefighters were called to investigate smoke coming from the wall behind a dishwasher.
• An alleged second-degree burglary was reported to police at 10:15 a.m. May 5. Two back-door windows were broken sometime between April 26 and May 5 at the home of the complainant's deceased mother. While someone had rummaged through the house—closet and cabinet doors were left open and a jewelry box was in disarray—nothing was taken. About $300 of damage was done.
• At 2:09 p.m. May 5, an alleged second-degree burglary was reported in the 400 block of Leeward Trail. His and hers Trek bicycles valued at $350 disappeared while the complainant went to Walmart, leaving the garage door open. He told police: "If they wanted the bikes that bad, they could have just asked."
• Bremer Bank reported suspicious activity—a possible casing of the business—at 3:59 p.m. May 6. A black male, about 5-foot-6, wearing khakis and a blue and red checkered shirt, came into the bank, fumbled with some papers on the table, then when employees said hello, he quickly turned and exited. He left in a gold Chrysler. Law enforcement tracks and alerts other agencies when robberies or similarly suspicious incidents occur.
• A 911 caller reported five juveniles smoking marijuana at 4:21 p.m. May 6 in the pavilion at Carver Lake Beach. Police talked to adults who were smoking cigarettes at the park, but there was no sign of drug use and no other issues.
• Firefighters responded after a car owned by a St. Paul woman was reported on fire at 9:27 a.m. May 7, near the intersection of Woodbury Drive and Interstate 94. The fire call was canceled; the vehicle had overheated, was emitting white steam, and wasn't on fire. The Minnesota State Patrol assisted the driver.
• A 48-year-old man was cited for fifth-degree assault and issued a trespass notice after confrontation about his next-door neighbor discharging rocks and grass clippings into the man's yard, where an 8-year-old girl was playing. The neighbor ignored the man, who jumped over the fence and pushed his neighbor with two closed fists, knocking the neighbor into the house and onto the ground while the girl was present. Police were called at 12:03 p.m. May 7 to Winterberry Court. The man admitted being the aggressor in the incident but also told police his neighbor pushed first. The neighbor, a 49-year-old man, suffered only minor scratches and declined medical attention.
• An accident caused injuries at 4:37 p.m. May 7, near the intersection of Tamarack Road and Commons Drive. A Monticello, Minn., man called police after witnessing a Harley Davidson crash into a Honda Accord. The Accord, driven by a 74-year-old woman from Woodbury, stopped in the middle of the intersection to avoid hitting another car that took an abrupt left-hand turn. A 45-year-old Woodbury man crashed the motorcycle into the Accord. He was transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. A state accident report was completed.
• At 6:08 p.m. May 7, firefighters put out a fire in the mulch outside the Tavern Grill. It might've been lit on fire by a discarded cigarette.
• An assault was reported at 9:52 p.m. May 7. An emergency room patient at Woodwinds Health Campus told police she was thrown from a moving vehicle. The assault occurred on Interstate 94, while the car was going 60 mph. The victim was from Oakdale.
• At 5:32 p.m. May 8, police were called to Caulfield Plaza for a report of drug activity. A 16-year-old boy and friends were allegedly smoking marijuana in his garage. The boy's mother tried to take a grinder with marijuana shake in it, but the group swore at her, called her names and left on foot. Police confiscated the grinder and a scale. No one was charged.