Weather Forecast


Police report: $4,200 of stolen belt buckles, spices or marijuana, and a mattress on fire

Note: This is a sample of recent incidents involving the Woodbury police. All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

At 9:26 p.m. Jan. 12, Woodbury firefighters responded to the 11100 block of Cresthaven Trail for a report of smoke in the residence. Haze was coming from the furnace.

A home in the 8900 block of Stonebrooke Trail was evacuated at 5:38 p.m. Jan. 13. Firefighters found no fire or smoke, but there were electrical issues in the kitchen.

A woman who lives along Carillon Plaza called police at 5:50 p.m. Jan. 13 to report $300 missing from her 2009 Chevy HHR. The sport-utility vehicle might’ve been left unlocked, she told police. The theft was discovered at about 4 p.m. Officers advised the woman to keep her car doors locked.

At 4:37 p.m. Jan. 13, along Evergreen Alcove, Woodbury Public Safety responded to a garage fire. The complainant reported seeing flames and smoke, but firefighters determined a garbage can had burned up inside the garage. The garage was ventilated.

At 7 p.m. Jan. 13, in the area of Carillon Plaza where someone had earlier tampered with a motor vehicle, the complainant’s daughter saw a tall male dressed in black run away from parked cars. It was too dark to get a full description of the suspect. Nothing else was missing from the vehicles. Police checked the area.

At 1:54 a.m. Jan. 14, police were called to the 10700 block of Sailor Way for a report of suspicious findings. No further details were available in the initial complaint report.

The faint smell of marijuana drew a police call at 5:21 p.m. Jan. 14, in the 7200 Guider Drive. Officers couldn’t determine if the odor in the hallway was coming from a particular apartment or not.

A pregnant woman living along Guider Drive called police at 7:25 p.m. Jan. 14 to report the smell of marijuana, possibly coming from one of the neighbors’ apartments. “I did not smell any odor of marijuana or any other weird odors,” the initial complaint report said, “except the spices from the caller cooking in the kitchen.” Police advised the woman to get a second opinion -- from her husband, when he returns home.

A man who lives along Cobble Hill Court awoke to a loud explosion. At 2:21 a.m. Jan. 16, he told police he thought something from a nearby construction site might’ve hit the building. He said the noise sounded like debris landing on the roof of his apartment. Neither officers nor firefighters found anything that would explain the loud noise, and dispatch received no other calls about the incident.

At 9:28 a.m. Jan. 16, police stopped the vehicle of two juveniles for canceled registration and a suspended object. The driver gave a false name because he didn’t have a driver’s license and the car wasn’t insured. He received a citation. The car smelled like marijuana, and a search turned up a glass pipe, marijuana residue and a scale in a locked box in the backseat. The juveniles’ parents were contacted; upon arrival, they were concerned and cooperative.

A resident along Newbury Road used a hair dryer in attempt to dry out a mattress. Due to the high heat of the hair dryer, the mattress started on fire. The complainant, who called police at 3:32 p.m. Jan. 16, carried the smoldering mattress outside and firefighters extinguished the fire.

At 11:08 a.m. Jan. 16, a Woodbury parent called police to report a runaway. Her son was supposed to be home no later than 10 p.m. and the parent was concerned not only about the boy’s location but also that he was supposed to walk home in the extreme cold. Police went to a residence in the 7600 block of Dunmore Road, where the juvenile had been dropped off. The man who answered the door was under the influence of marijuana and admitted he was high. He said the boy was not there, and refused to let an officer search his home. Police cleared the residence. Then the mother called to say the boy had returned home and would be punished. Police tried to interview the boy, but he swore at officers and told them it was “none of your business.”

A small maroon car drove through a yard along Sherwood Circle and crashed into a screen house. Police responded as the car was trying to leave at 2:32 a.m. Jan. 17. The lone occupant of the car was a man with a blood-alcohol content of 0.21, according to the preliminary breath test. He was booked for DWI and held at the Washington County jail.

At 10:34 p.m. Jan. 17, near the intersection of Radio Drive and Afton Road, a police officer was on patrol, stationary, with the windows up, radio on and heat blower turned up high, when a vehicle passed with excessively loud exhaust. During a traffic stop the driver, a Maplewood resident, admitted there was a problem with the exhaust. The officer smelled marijuana and searched the vehicle. Two baggies of green leafy substance and a grinder were located inside a holiday cookie tin in the backseat. The driver was arrested, handcuffed, cited, and transported to the Washington County jail for booking and release. His car was towed.

At 5:30 a.m. Jan. 18, an older purple truck sped out of a driveway in the 2400 block of Lone Eagle Trail, spilling a snowblower out of the bed into the street. Turns out it belonged to a man who, for 10 minutes, had left open the overhead door on the third stall of his garage. Two males had attempted the theft. A neighbor also called police to report the suspicious activity.

At 2:13 p.m. Jan. 18, a resident along Valley Creek Road reported a second-degree burglary. While the complainant was out of town for 11 days, the burglar stole a 55-inch Samsung TV (valued at $1,200) from the den and $4,200 of running race belt buckles, similar to Western belt buckles, from a bedroom dresser. Someone left tracks through the snow, to and from from Valley Creek Road, where presumably a car had picked up the burglar. Front-door glass was broken. Police processed all areas of the crime scene, finding one fingerprint on the deadbolt lock.

At 3:27 p.m. Jan. 18, police responded to a report of possible drug activity at Potawatomi Park. Multiple cars had been stopping throughout the day. Each time, a darker sport-utility vehicle seemed to be involved in an exchange, which happened very quickly.