Woodbury history snapshots
In 2017, we celebrate the 50th year of the city of Woodbury.
With advertisers’ support, this series is called Making History in Woodbury. The Woodbury Bulletin is attempting to get a grip on some pieces of our town’s history — a series of stories about the history of Woodbury through the eyes of the businesses and nonprofit organizations that help make it great. This series is better because of our advertisers’ support. For more information about being featured in Making History in Woodbury, contact Laurie Levine at email@example.com or 651-319-4513.
A few facts about the past:
- 1844 — White settlers first came to Woodbury.
- 1858 — Red Rock Township was formed.
- 1859 — Red Rock Township's name was changed to Woodbury Township, named after Levi Woodbury, a New Hampshire judge and friend of the first town board chairman.
- 1920s — Living by the motto "We are laborers together," the ladies of Woodbury Community Club were a driving force behind activities that helped people in Woodbury.
- 1947 — Men were allowed to join the Woodbury Community Club.
- 1965 — A joint incorporation with Cottage Grove was denied by a vote of Woodbury Township residents. If the proposal had been ratified, the village of Washington would've been formed.
- Jan. 1, 1965 — Howard Radke was hired as Woodbury Township's first full-time employee.
- April 1, 1965 — William Krueger became the first full-time town clerk in Woodbury.
- 1965 — A joint incorporation with Cottage Grove was denied by a vote of Woodbury Township residents. If the proposal had been ratified, the village of Washington would’ve been formed.
- Feb. 14, 1967 — A petition to incorporate the township as a village was ratified by election.
- April 4, 1967 — Woodbury's first Village Council was elected: Orville Bielenberg, mayor; Stanley Olander, councilman at large; Francis Sheppard, Fred Strong and Robert Wolterstorff, councilmen from their respective precincts.
- 1970s — The first shopping malls came to Woodbury.
- 1974 — Ojibway Park was funded by taxpayers after a successful park referendum.
- 1983 — Developers proposed a pari-mutuel horseracing track
- 1986 — Travel By Nelson opened in Seasons Market, near the intersection of Radio Drive and Tamarack Road.
- Nov. 5, 1987 — The Woodbury Bulletin published its first edition of the weekly newspaper.
- Sept. 22, 1993 — Bill Hargis is named Woodbury mayor.
- 1999 — Sheree Powers bought Travel By Nelson from Gary and Sandra Schmidt, who mentored her before the transaction.
- 2002 and 2003 — Central Park was built.
- 2003 — Seven concerned citizens started the Friends of Woodbury, raising money for a the purchase of a grand piano for Central Park the following year.
- 2005 — Friends of Woodbury officially became Woodbury Community Foundation.
Sources: Travel By Nelson, Woodbury Community Foundation, Woodbury Bulletin, and the Woodbury Heritage Commission's "Woodbury: A Past To Remember"