See fall colors; visit Afton State Park
Two fall color walks and a fly fishing clinic are scheduled at Afton State Park in early October. A birdwatching session and coffee and a walk with a National Park Service representative will be held in mid-October. Activities are free; parking is $5 per day or $25 annually.
- A naturalist-led fall color walk is scheduled from 6-7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 2. For details, call 651-231-6968.
- A second fall color walk led by a naturalist will take place from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 10. For details, call 651-436-5391 or email Linda.Radimecky@state.mn.us.
- Participants at a fly fishing clinic, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 11, will learn about fish and what they eat, how to tie flies and how to cast more accurately. If conditions permit, the group will fish on the St. Croix River. To register, call 651-231-6968.
- “Let’s Go Birdwatching” is scheduled from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 17. For details, call 651-436-5391 or email Linda.Radimecky@state.mn.us.
- “Coffee Talk and Walk with the National Park Service” will take place from 9-11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 18, at the peak of fall bird migration. Park rangers from the National Park Service will lead walks with coffee provided. Meet the park ranger and a state park naturalist at the Visitor Center. Wear comfortable walking shoes and clothing appropriate for the weather and bring water, snacks or other items as needed. Walks may be canceled in the event of threatening or inclement weather. For details, call 651-231-6968.