Students in the NewsThe following information has been received from university or family sources.
The following information has been received from university or family sources.
• Cara Bauer earned a B.A. in psychology from the University of Wisconsin, Madison this spring. In September, she will attend the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and plans to earn an educational specialist degree in school psychology. Bauer, a 2005 graduate of Woodbury High school, is the daughter of Jim and Cathy Bauer of Woodbury.
• Charlie Nocker of Woodbury was named to the spring semester 2009 Dean’s Honors List at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. To be included on the list a student must earn at least a 3.70 grade point average. A 2008 graduate of Saint Thomas Academy, Nocker is a rising sophomore at the university.
• Jenna Lee Metelak of Woodbury was named to the spring semester 2009 Dean’s List at St. Norbert College, De Pere, Wis. A minimum 3.5 grade point average is required for academic eligibility.
• Benjamin Knurr, the son of Joan Knurr of Woodbury and Rick Knurr of St. Paul, graduated from Macalester College, St. Paul following spring term. He received a liberal arts degree in chemistry. In addition, Knurr was honored at the Macalester College Honors Convocation May 15 as the recipient of the Friends Of Music Award given by the faculty of the music department to recognize performance, academic work and service. He is a graduate of Stillwater Area High School.
• The following students from Woodbury were named to the spring term Dean’s List at Hamline University, St. Paul for having achieved a grade point average of 3.50 or higher on a 4.00 scale: Kelly Carroll, Ellen Mazzarella, Christian Thorvaldson. All of the students are graduates of Woodbury High School.
• These Woodbury students were recently graduated from Hamline University, St. Paul.
Tamara Drake received a bachelor’s degree and graduated summa cum laude with a major in East Asian studies. She is a graduate of Woodbury High School.
Austin Ledo received a bachelor’s degree with a major in management. He is a graduate of Benilde-St Margaret’s School.
Brianna Miller received a bachelor’s degree graduating cum laude with a major in communication studies. She is a graduate of Woodbury High School.
• The Afton and Woodbury students listed below have been recognized by Concordia University, St. Paul for academic excellence in the university’s Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO) program during the spring 2009 semester: Daniel Carlson, Talia Diers, Elise Gill, Hannah Marxhausen, Nicole McDaniel, Stephanie Scott, and Danessa Snustad.
PSEO is a program that allows high school juniors and seniors to take college-level classes and earn college credits while in high school. Students with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher are recognized for superior academic performance.
• The following students from this area have been named to the Dean’s Honor List at Concordia College, Moorhead for superior academic achievement during the second semester of the 2008-09 academic year: Amanda Sullivan, daughter of John and Pamela Sullivan of Woodbury; Rachel Mohrbacher, daughter of David Mohrbacher and Laura Hall, both of Woodbury; and Jessica Mohrbacher, daughter of David Mohrbacher and Laura Hall. To qualify for the honor, students must earn a grade point average of at least 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.
• The following area students graduated recently from Northwestern College, St. Paul: Elisabeth Joy Donnan, bachelor of arts in communication; Jessica Rachelle Nagle, cum laude with a bachelor of science in psychology; Ashley Ann Vikla, magna cum laude with a bachelor of arts in English; Nadja Cross with a bachelor of science in psychology from the Northwestern College FOCUS degree completion program.
• Area students named to the Academic High Honor and Honor lists (dean’s lists) for the past spring semester at Minnesota State University, Mankato include Timothy Biermaier, senior, high honors; Cory Eckhart, senior, honors; Kristen Kline, senior, honors; Whitney Kroschel, senior, high honors; Sara Kruper, sophomore, honors; Ashley Lindquist, junior, honors; Aryn Osum, sophomore, honors; William Roberts, sophomore, high honors; Brett Thompson, senior, honors; Kathryn Wilson, sophomore, honors; Whitney Zilles, senior, honors.
Students achieving a 4.0 straight “A” average are eligible for the High Honor List. Those earning a 3.5 to 3.99 average qualify for the Honor List.
• Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Mich. has released the Dean’s List for the spring 2009 semester, recognizing students who achieve grade point averages of 3.5 or higher. Students from this area earning the honor include: Shannon Gabel (Saint Paul Park), a senior biological sciences major; and from Woodbury: Steven Brandner, a sophomore environmental engineering major; Jacob Longhini, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering; and Leslie Sabbann, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering.
• The following Woodbury residents were recently graduated from St. Olaf College, Northfield: Amy C. Johnson, a chemistry major with a bachelor of arts degree, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa; Robyn M. Turnblom, an English major with a bachelor of arts degree.
• Area students recently graduated from Wartburg College Waverly, Iowa include: Sarah Frazell, bachelor of arts, summa cum laude, Spanish and social work majors, Dean's List for winter and May terms for earning at least a 3.5 grade point, daughter of Kevin and Terri Frazell; Kristen Moravetz, bachelor of arts, summa cum laude, biology major, daughter of Robyn Moravetz.
Of the 400 students graduated, only 41 graduated summa cum laude, having achieved a 3.85 to 4.0 grade point average.