Federal charges could be filed next week against a man suspected in numerous Woodbury mail thefts.
The St. Paul man, whose name is not being released while formal charges are pending, could face mail theft charges in U.S. district court, a U.S. Postal Service spokesman said.
Depending on the outcome of the investigation - which is ongoing - it is possible federal prosecutors could tack on identity theft charges, said Jeff Long, public information officer for the Postal Inspection Service. He said the case could be turned over for consideration of charges next week.
The 20-year-old suspect was arrested Dec. 11 in St. Anthony with what Woodbury police described as a "large quantity of mail" in his vehicle. The discovery included some pieces from Woodbury residents, Woodbury police Commander Jay Alberio said earlier this month.
The man was suspected in at least 40 mail-theft cases locally, Alberio reported earlier in December.
Long said it was unclear how many pieces of mail belonged to Woodbury residents, though he noted victims have been sent notices from the United States Postal Service indicating their mail is being held for evidence.