UPDATE: Woodbury townhouse fire caused by hot laptop, firefighters say
Firefighters said a hot laptop computer was to blame for townhouse fire that left the residence unlivable.
Woodbury crews were called at 2:16 p.m. to 8655 Quarry Ridge Lane Unit A for a structure fire. Fire Cmdr. John Wallgren said the fire was roaring by the time crews arrived.
"Everything was going in the first floor," he said.
The blaze, which started on a couch in the two-story townhome, caused "significant damage" to the home, Wallgren said.
Crews from Cottage Grove and Oakdale also responded.
The home's sole female resident was not home at the time of the fire. No firefighters were injured in the blaze, though Wallgren said the cold temperatures posed a challenge for crews.
He said the fire started after a hot laptop computer was left on top of a couch.
A neighbor leaving for work called in the report after seeing smoke coming from the eaves and the roof of the townhome, which is part of a five-unit structure.
Wallgren said there was smoke exposure to two connecting units, but no fire damage in those townhomes.
"The guys did a wonderful job keeping it contained to one unit," he said.
Wallgren noted that firefighters were able to stop the blaze before it reached the garage, preserving two treasured Harley-Davidson motorcycles belonging to the homeowner.