UPDATE: 13 adults, three children displaced by fire
One person was hospitalized, more than a dozen people were displaced and two cats died Sunday after fire broke out in a Woodbury apartment complex.
Firefighters were called at 10:11 a.m. to a third-floor unit in the 6841 building at Woodland Pointe Apartments on Ashwood Road.
Woodbury police Sgt. Neil Bauer said a grease fire started while a resident there was cooking. The fire got out of control and led to "significant damage" in the unit and left an adjacent unit partially damaged, Bauer said.
All four units on the building's third floor received smoke damage and lower units received some water damage, he said.
He said American Red Cross officials helped relocate displaced families.
Red Cross of Washington County spokeswoman Carrie Carlson-Guest said six families were displaced as a result of the fire.
She said that included 13 adults and three children.
Affected families were receiving housing, food, clothing and any medical assistance, Carlson-Guest said.
"Our hearts go out to everyone who was affected by this disaster," she said.
Ashly Grady, a resident of a neighboring building connected to the 6841 structure, said the situation was tense. She and her neighbors were evacuated for about 45 minutes as a precautionary measure, Grady said.
"I got my dog and my kid and out we went," she said.
She said the resident of the unit where the blaze began sustained burns to her arms following attempts to extinguish the fire.
Bauer said one patient was hospitalized with respiratory problems. He did not know whether that person lived at the unit where the fire started.
No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze, he said.