Three dogs die in Woodbury house fire
Three dogs died in a fire that heavily damaged a large two-story Woodbury home March 19.
Authorities said the homeowners weren't home at the time and it appeared the fire was going for about four hours before their arrival.
One of the homeowners of the 2115 Vermillion Curve house arrived and found the house on fire around 1:30 p.m.
"There was smoke coming from the house and it appeared to be a very hot smoldering fire inside the residence," Woodbury Public Safety fire services commander Greg Schlichting said.
Although nobody was injured in the fire, a neighbor had entered the house in an attempt to rescue the pets and sustained smoke inhalation. The neighbor was treated immediately on scene, Schlichting added.
One of the homeowners told authorities he suspected one of the dogs moved an empty pizza box off the stovetop and may have activated the stove, according to a police report.
"That is one of the possible sources that we are investigating. It's highly unusual but it's certainly possible," Schlichting said.
The house was heavily damaged by the heat and smoke, however, most of the damage was limited to just a portion of the kitchen, which is the source area of the fire.
Authorities are still investigating the fire but arson was not suspected.
Thirty-five Woodbury firefighters were battling the smoke and looking for extensions to the fire for about two hours, Schlichting said.
Oakdale Fire Department also assisted at the scene.