Sprinklers contain fire to one unit at Classic at the Preserve
Firefighters credited a sprinkler system for sparing other units from serious damage after fire broke out at an apartment Friday night at The Classic at the Preserve.
Woodbury fire department Cmdr. John Wallgren said tenants on a first-floor apartment were cooking with oil and walked away from the stove when the contents of the pan caught fire and spread quickly into the surrouning cabinetry. The fire, which occurred at 7370 Guider Drive, was first reported at 9:52 p.m.
Wallgren said no one was injured in the fire, which was contained to one unit, but caused the three-story building to be temporarily evacuated.
The fire triggered a sprinkler head to release water throughout the apartment, which Wallgren called "very fortunate."
"It could have been ugly," he said.
Two people living in the unit were displaced but were able to stay the night with relatives, Wallgren said. The sprinkler release caused water damage to some neighboring units, he said, displacing at least one family.