Weather Forecast


Lightning strikes Woodbury home

The first thunderstorm of the season caused extensive electrical damage to a Woodbury home early Tuesday morning.

Three residents woke up to the strong thunder and evacuated the house safely after lightning struck the roof of their home, fire commander John Wallgren said.

"They woke up from the thunder and knew that their house got hit, they smelled smoke," Wallgren said.

Firefighters received the call around 3 a.m. Tuesday and were able to prevent smoke from damaging the rest of the home.

Lightning struck the roof of the house, located off Boulder Ridge Road at Tower Drive, and blew out most of the electric circuit to the point that light plates came off the wall, Wallgren said.

"Literally broke the plastic cap," he added.

Most of the structural damage was contained in the roof of the home, however, the house will need major electrical work.

Wallgren said it's not uncommon for homes in the area to get hit by lightning and there is not much homeowners can do to prevent it from happening.

"You hope you don't get hit. What do you do, it's a thunderstorm, and there is always lightning in the area," Wallgren said.

Riham Feshir
Riham Feshir is a reporter and photographer for the Woodbury Bulletin. Her coverage includes Woodbury City Hall, Washington County Board of Commissioners and business news.  Follow Riham on Twitter @RihamFeshir for the latest updates.