Gas leak prompts evacuation at Woodbury's Life Time Fitness
Woodbury firefighters were on scene this morning while Xcel Energy crews worked to contain a gas leak at Life Time Fitness.
The leak prompted a complete evacuation of the gym – more than 100 people at the time, according to Life Time workers.
The incident was first reported at 9:42 a.m. after a construction crew attempting to dig a fencepost struck the line. Natural gas was blowing for more than an hour as crews worked to shut off the 2-inch gas main that had been struck.
“It’s pretty serious,” said Woodbury Fire Cmdr. John Wallgren.
He said Xcel crews expected the leak to be contained by 11 a.m.
Wallgren said firefighters were working to clear the air of a nearby rental home that had an open window not far from the leak. Because the wind was carrying the gas in a general northward direction, the east-facing residential area was not evacuated, he added.